This thread tracks real trades in one of my portfolios. Refer to backgrounder for more info.
Here are some interesting half-year stats:
- Closed trades: 31
- Winners: 17
- Losers: 14
- Fewest Calendar Days in Trade: 1
- Most Calendar Days in Trade: 98
- Average Calendar Days in Trade: 28
- Largest Winner: 25.6%
- Largest Loser: -8.9%
- Closed Return: 5.5%
- Open Positions Return: 5.4%
- Closed + Open Return: 10.9%
- S&P 500 Return: 6.0%
At the half-year point Real Money has outperformed the market 10.9% v. 6.0%, while the number of winners versus losers are virtually even. Many people are overly concerned with making winning trades. The secret to outperforming the market is limiting your losses. If you manage your risk – the rest will take care of itself.